心路历程

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My views on band rehearsal

Chorale are made up of mostly consonant chords; Modern band music will have some or many dissonant chords, but many will have perfect cadence in the end to sound satisfying. But I don't feel satisfied after every piece.

After so many rehearsals, rhythmically we are still not together. Are we really that bad at counting? I guess not. Some people are following conductor's beat but some are not. So are we supposed to follow the conductor? I guess not too. If we are all following the conductor, for 4/4 passage, some bar will have 4 counts, some have 3 counts, some have merely 2 counts, are we going to leave out that missing counts and not play what we are supposed to play? If we leave the note out, that passage will sound incomplete; If we play everything according to his beat, then we will sound we are rushing through. So which is the lesser of evil?

I know taking a band is not easy. Need to take care of many things, but those basic things like rhythm, phrasing, balance, and etc. must be polished first before we even move to musicality. I feel that the rehearsals are really not planned properly. Some obvious wrong rhythm or pitching were not corrected immediately. And we are playing over and over again. Seriously now I don't know what is right and what is wrong. I feel so irritated sitting there listen to practically dissonance for the whole rehearsal.

I guess many are not aware that there is a solo at XVI. The solo part is written mf. The accompaniment sounded like ff. Two bars later, english horn is having a very long solo and the accompaniment is still playing ff. How can he express well and sound nice if he is struggling to be heard? I don't understand why the conductor still allow us to play that loud.

I personally feel we are much more together and balanced on sundays' rehearsal. Most people are more focused and relaxed. Many are actually making the effort to sound together as we are more attentive to the pieces. Yes,we are following, but mostly to our fellow band mates.

So what are we supposed to do? Follow closely to him or listen closely?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home